Like I said in my previous post, I have been super busy the last few weeks. Time was probably my number one excuse not to work out in the past. When you work in an office like I do, you’re sitting at a computer for the majority of the day. Recent studies have shown that desk-bound workers who spend long periods of time sitting down are more likely to die of heart problems, even if they exercise regularly. I found that to be very disturbing and I just knew I had to do something. I make it a priority to get up from my desk every hour or so. This was a challenge for me at first but then it hit me….I work in a LARGE shopping mall that is approximately 2 miles around. If I have the time I will make one complete lap around the mall but if I don’t have the time there are 10 exercises that I will do to get a small workout in.
- Take the stairs whenever possible. I try to take the stairs at least once a day.
- If your waiting on documents to print…..do some squats or calf raises!
- Leg Raises can be done under your desk! Alternate legs or do both at the same time….just make sure you are keeping your tummy tight!
- Wall Leans! Lean against the wall supporting your body with your forearms only. Then lean into the wall until the upper arm almost touches it and push back keeping your tummy tight and your back straight!
- Should shrugs! Do them while you are on that conference call or waiting for that meeting!
- Desk Chair swivel! Sit in your swivel chair with your feet hovering over the floor. Using your index finger and your thumb only grab your desk. Use your core to swivel your chair from side to side.
- Take really deep breaths and tighten your abs bringing them in towards your spine as you exhale. Stay squeezed for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Get up and do a wall sit!!
- Arm Circles and pulses
I do about 15 reps of these on my busy days when I know I don’t have alot of time to devote to a good workout. I don’t give myself any excuses not to get in a workout even if it’s just 15 mintues….I get up and move! Here are a few more office fitness tips you can follow as well:
Happy workout everyone!